Monday, May 24, 2010

I'm Sick and Tired and I'm Not Going to Take It Anymore!


<------- This is me. Almost every day. My hair is brown, and you won't catch me in a skirt most of the time, but you get the picture. I may not be pulling out my hair on the outside, but it's the way I feel so often on the inside.


This is FLYlady. ---->
FLYlady is the reason I did not become stark, raving mad when I made the choice to stop teaching elementary school and stay home to raise my twin boys. And a year later started also watching my new-born nephew full-time. And a year after that give birth to and began raising my daughter. And two years after that started also watching my new-born niece full-time. It's a good thing I had my twins first before I knew any better!
And then my boys went off to school, followed by my nephew, leaving me with just the two girls all day. And my synagogue's preschool had a teaching opening. The pay was hardly worth mentioning, but it was at my synagogue, which I consider to be my second home having been a member there since birth, and it would be my own classroom again. And the school's teaching philosophy was fabulous, completely based on the current research in child development. PLUS it was only from 9-12. Sold!

Of course, since both girls were also at the preschool, they came home with me for the afternoon. So now I was working all morning, in charge of the girls all afternoon, and once my boys came home at 3:30, responsible for getting both boys to complete their afterschool chores (hang up their coat, put away their lunch box, take out their papers for me) and then focus on their homework. Did I mention that both boys have special needs making this very challenging for all three of us? No? Well, let's just throw that into the mix.

My darling husband (to be known as DH forevermore) is incredible, but he is a secondary school teacher, which requires a ton of planning and grading on his part. Plus, until this year, he also was co-directing the shows at the high school which required him to be at school for lots of additional hours, leaving me at home with all the kids, attempting to keep my sanity.

Which brings us to the here and now. I'm tired of feeling like I'm constantly playing catch up around the house and with the kids. I'm tired of being overweight and not getting enough any exercise. I'm tired of feeling like we have this black hole of debt, never enough money to do what we want. I'm tired.

This blog is my attempt to get to the other side, to find the light at the end of the tunnel, the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow, fill in any other cliche that might fit. I'm not totally sure how to get there, but I have to try. One of the big ideas I have clung to from FLYlady is that when I am feeling overwhelmed, set my timer for fifteen minutes, pick a task, and just do it. So that's what I'm going to do.

Feel like joining me on this journey? Please leave a comment and say hello!

2 comments:

  1. Amen Sister! I work (with special needs kids) go to school full time and run a house. My husband rocks, but it's still tons of work and I never feel like I'm not tired. Good luck to you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi I love your new blog - can totally relate to this having 3 kids myself (similar ages and one special needs, one extra challenging), and experiencing these same issues myself, which is why I enjoy your blogs! Sometimes though I think that when I achieve what you are working towards the kids will be all grown and left home! But in the meantime we can try... I look forward to reading more

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE comments, but please be nice!