Wednesday, May 26, 2010

The Perfect Storm

My goal yesterday was to get everyone's lunches finished way before bed, cook and clean up from dinner, cook and clean up a healthy lunch that I could take to school the rest of the week, make a grocery list, go grocery shopping, and put said groceries away.  In between trying to do all that, I would make sure the girls stay alive, get the boys to do their jobs and finish their homework, drive J to dance class, and then feed the kids their dinner and put them to bed.  I also was able to keep calling DuPont (a children's hospital in Delaware) until I finally got through to a live person in order to schedule appointment for both boys to be evaluated by the developmental pediatrician.  We're on the books for an appointment in NOVEMBER, but are also on the cancellation list, so I'm hopeful we can be seen before then.  I'm not complaining; that's just the kind of day it was.  And I managed to do everything on my list.

DH's responses? 
When I returned from the grocery store: "Did you remember my O'Doull's?"
When he was leaving to return to school for an awards ceremony (after I returned from J's dance class but before I fed the kids dinner):  "When I get back I'm going to head upstairs because I'm really tired, so I won't be able to help clean up anything.  Do you think you can get it all?"
Separate conversation, also before he left for school:  "Could you please try to pick up a little before I get home from work tomorrow?  Maybe vacuum the rug, too?"

In case DH pops on over to this blog and has just read my take on his responses, please understand that he is an incredible husband and father.  He pitches in all the time.  In fact, when he got home from the awards ceremony, he did clean up some of the stuff I hadn't gotten to yet.  He is a great guy!

However, after having rushed around all afternoon to accomplish all that I did, it pissed me off to no end to not hear, "Wow, this place looks great!" or "Thanks for making us dinner!" or "I know how tough it was to get appointments for the boys; thanks!" or even just to see a smile when he walks in the door before he sighs and starts picking stuff up.

I try really hard to straighten things up before he gets home.  I totally understand how stressful it is to walk in the door and see crap everywhere.  I am working on getting things more organized so that it won't be like that when he comes home.  But sometimes, in my effort to do some other important stuff, it doesn't happen.  And those are the days that he just happens to be extra tired, or he had a bad day, or whatever, so it creates this perfect storm of sighs and passive aggressive behaviors that are really hard to take, especially when I have not just been sitting on the couch eating Bon Bons (or on Facebook playing Tetris)!

Ahhhh, that felt good to get off my chest.  And when he gets home in an hour, since he was out last night and will not be home late Thursday night, I will be taking my computer and going out to focus on end of the year school stuff and other important tasks (again, Facebook, Tetris, you know).  So in reality, it's all good.  But every once in a while, I have to blow off steam!
**************************************************
My goals for the rest of the afternoon, which is rapidly slipping away:
  1. Put in a load of laundry and fold and put away the load that is currently in the dryer.
  2. Fill small, snack-sized containers with snacks for the kids. 
  3. Make lunches for tomorrow.
  4. Begin dinner.
  5. Clear off DR table and put out a snack for the boys for them to eat while they do their homework.
  6. Do a quick sweep through the LR, DR, and kitchen to straighten up.

2 comments:

  1. Just had a chance to catch up with you. Good luck with everything you're tryng to accomplish tonight!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally get where you are coming from. But the one compromise I made with my husband is that he can walk through the door without tripping and that dinner is cooking or prepared when he walks in the door. Those are important to HIM so things that are important to ME get put on the back burner. And, I've been getting the boys to clean up their crap as much as possible. They are more than capable...your kids are, too. Could be a new rule. Want outside time? 5 minutes of clean up. Want computer? Clean this up first. Who knows, it might work.

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE comments, but please be nice!